Saturday 3 May 2014

A Simple Summery Top


This week I wanted to do something new and decided
to try my hand at dressmaking. I've always admired those
who can sew their own clothes but I've never felt brave enough
to try eventhough I like to sew and know a bit about using a
sewing machine. The only piece of garment I've ever made was
a Clothkits dress for Markie a couple of years ago. I managed
to finish it by watching the video tutorial online, replaying every
step til I got to the end.


So what made me want to try and make myself something
I can wear? Well, the whole idea started on Tuesday when I wore
one of my favourite tops. I kept thinking how nice it would be if I
can make one or two of it to wear this summer. I'll have some new tops
that will look nice with jeans, cropped trousers or leggings, plus I can
save some money too. So that evening I laid it on the table to have
 a good look at it. It's from Mango and bought in the sale last year.
There are no sleeves, buttons, darts or linings. After some scrutiny
I (bravely) decided it was doable.

I started off by sketching the top on to pattern paper,
making the back slightly wider, before cutting my fabric pieces.
I chose a material that's easy to work with--cotton, with small floral
prints-- something I picked up from The Great British Sewing Bee.
It was also bought in the sale (you can probably tell by now I like
to buy things in the sale) and I thought just in case it all went
pear shaped at least I won't be too disappointed with the wasted
material. Anyway after this it was on to the sewing bit. It was 
surprisingly easy and by the next day I had a  finished top.
Here it is:


The bias binding was quite fiddly but not as hard as I'd
 expected. I got the idea to use it on the neckline and
armholes from here.



And it fits nicely-hooray!


I really like it and I'm so chuffed with how it turned out.
I could see myself wearing this a lot in the coming months.


I've already chosen the fabric for the next one and I might add
a little pocket too.  Looking forward to making it soon!


Thanks for reading. Hope you like my summery top too.

Have a great weekend!



6 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job!! It looks perfect. The neckline is just beautiful - a lot of novice sewers really struggle with them. You look lovely in it, too, it's perfect for layering like you did! Can't wait to see what else you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you really did do a good job. I'm impressed! It really does suit you. And your first attempt at sewing! Look forward to seeing the next one now
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, Marion! It looks great on you. And you can now re-make it in lots of different fabrics. Stripes would be nice, too. I am very impressed that your first foray into dressmaking for yourself was from a self made pattern - here's to many more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a lovely top Marion! I love the fabric you used. I'm so impressed that this is the first time you've made a piece of clothing and you made the pattern yourself. Great job!!!

    Virna

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so lovely, and such a good fit. I like the print on the cotton. I've never tried making my own clothes, but I feel like this might be achievable. It looks great on you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely! You have done a great job with it. I would love to make myself a top like this. It looks really nice on you as well.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete