Thursday 17 April 2014

Lenten Stitches


Every Lent parishioners in our church are invited to bring
a piece of cloth about 6 x 6 inches square, each piece representing
our worries and pains or those of loved ones. All the pieces are
then sewn together to form a patchwork panel, a 'Garment of Suffering',
and this is brought to the altar on Good Friday. Afterwards it is
draped over the cross where it will stay for the next few months.


Since joining the parish four years ago I've always wanted to take part
 in this but I always forget to bring our piece of fabric before the
 deadline and this has always annoyed me. This year however I've
made sure I remembered and I brought ours in weeks ago.


It was my husband who suggested that I 'decorate' our little square
of fabric. It is very simple but by adding these motifs* it has become
even more meaningful for me. Like every other family we have
our worries and we have so many things to pray for especially
this year. All of these will be laid on the altar tomorrow alongside
everyone else's in the parish, reminding us that we really can't
do this on our own. I find this very comforting and uplifting ,
and will give me great hope, which for me, is what Lent is all about.



Thank you for reading. We wish you all a blessed and
very happy Easter!





*All the crossstitch motifs were taken from Sweet Stitches from 
the Heart and Doodle Stitching: Embroidery and Beyond, except for
the Philippine flag which was my own little design.

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Both your church's tradition, and your square! I'm glad to hear someone else can forget something like that repeatedly, and very pleased for you to have remembered in time this year!! Have a Blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very sweet post! Wishing you all a blessed and happy Easter x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tradition, and shows that we all share eachother's experiences, positive and negative. Your parish sounds a lovely place to celebrate Easter, and I wish you and your family a very happy and blessed Eastertide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a really lovely idea. Your square is beautifully made, but the meaning behind it makes it worth so much more. x

    ReplyDelete